Logo
848x251_front1-TL

Ruins of gold mine

Johan Albert Piponius from Alavieska had the first gold claim in Saariselkä in 1871. His claim was situated very close to where nowadays is the Santa's Hotel Tunturi. The story tells that he found 326g of gold from this claim. After him there has been several gold diggers living in the same hut next to the stream Lutto.
The ruins of his hut are located next to the Paras Paikka building of Santa's Hotel Tunturi on the river bank.
There is an info sign on the place telling about the history of the ruins. The easiest way to find the place is to walk from the starting place of the nature trails to direction of Kaunispää. The ruins will be on the left hand side before the Karvaselkä day trip hut.