Logo
848x251_front1-TL

Pielpajärvi Wilderness Church

The oldest building in the area and culturally significant chucrh was built in the mid-1700s. The church served the people of the area for 150 years until a new church was built to Inari. The deteriorated church was renovated in 1940 when it was taken into use again.
There are some traditional events held in the church every year. One of them is the Midsummer service which has been held in Pielpajärvi since 1940s. There is also a service in he church every Easter and in summer times many couples get married in the old church.
There is no road going to Pielpajärvi so it is not possible to go there by car. On the contrary, there is a 5-km-long marked path which leads to the church. The path starts from the "Sarviniementie" - you can follow the signs to the starting point of the path from the Sámi museum Siida. From Pielpajärvi it is also possible to hike to Pielpavuono which lies on the shore of the Lake Inari. The distance is 3km and in summer time it is possible to take a boat trip from Inari to Pielpavuono.
More about hiking to the Pielpajärvi Wilderness Church



Picture: Inarin seurakunta / Inari parish