The date of arrival – Check-in
Saariselkä Booking will send an individual instruction for picking up the keys / check-in to each client . All the necessary addresses, opening hours and other details are written in the instructions. Most of the times check-in is in the reception of Saariselkä Booking. Saariselkä Booking location and contact info
To make your check-in easier, you can fill in the Passanger Card beforehand and return it at latest when picking up the keys. Form is on the top of the page.
Check-in is at 4 pm (16:00) on the day of arrival. Guests will get the keys to the cabin / apartment at 4 pm. It is possible to get keys earlier if the cabin / apartment is cleaned after the previous guests.
Guests will get 2 keys, regardless of the amount of the guests. Same time as keys, guest receives a map to find a cabin / apartment easily.
Staying at the Cabin / Apartment
First safety tips, which may avoid accidents!
- It is common in Finland that bathroom has tiled floor and no shower tray. Floor might be slippery in sauna and in shower room.
- Entry hall might get very slippery if snow is not cleaned off your boots properly.
- In winter time the temperature often drops 20 degrees below zero. Be sure to wear warm and dry clothes. In very cold weather your skin will be better protected without creams (that includes water) and if you avoid washing your face in the morning.
It is safe to drink from the tap from cabin / apartment. However, bottled water can bought from supermarket.
Dishwashing and general detergents, toilet paper and cleaning supplies are in the cabin / apartment. As well as bedclothes and pillows according to the number of people. Check your invoice if linen, towels, end-of-stay clean and wood for the fireplace are incuded in your booking.
Based on booking terms and on the basis of the experience we have gathered a short checklist,
which can be useful during your accommodation:
- Public emergency number is 112
- Nearest public health center (small hospital) is in Ivalo, 30 km to the north from Saariselkä. Nurse on duty tel. +358(0)40 770 9187.
- Private health center MedInari is in Saariselkä. Tel. +358 (0)207 205 830. Limited opening hours.
- Pharmacy is in Ivalo (30 km). Basic medicines can be bought in the Cafe of Supermarket Kuukkeli, open daily at 9:00-21:00 (Ivalo Parmacys “medicine-locker” ).
- If you have any questions or notice concerning the equipment and/or condition of your accommodation, please contact the service immediately. So that it can be fixed right away. Complaints made later will not be taken into account. Booking terms, complaints
The date of departure – Check-out
Check-out is at noon (12:00) on the day of departure. The guest should check-out and return the keys latest at 12:00 to the Saariselkä Booking’s reception or to the red mail box on the outwall of the reception.
Luggage room is in the reception of Saariselkä Booking. Reception is open
Before arriving in Saariselkä – Finland
- Currency is Euro €
- Electricity is 230 volts / 50 hertz (Alternating current).
- Time-zone is the East-European (2 hours ahead UTC)
- It is safe to drink tap water
- Tips are included in price
- All major credit cards can be used
- Nature takes an essential part of Finland and is an important every-day part for Finnish people
- Finns are very respectful of others and of rules
- You might find food and alcoholic drinks a bit expensive…
- Saariselkä is located 260 km to north from the Arctic Circle
- Lapland is located on the same latitude as Alaska and Siberia
- Snow is guaranteed in Saariselkä in winter (November – April)
- In winter due to the low humidity the extreme cold doesn’t feel so cold
- Smoking is prohibited in all public areas, facilities and cabins /apartments
- Finns go to sauna naked…and yes, temperature in sauna is about 100 ºC
Frequently asked questions
Saariselkä Bookings location and contact info
This is Finland facts and stats
The Official Travel Guide of Finland
12 Surprising things in which Finland is the best in the world
21 reasons to love Finland
All that are Finns
Weather Forecast, Foreca
Weather Forecast, Finnish Meteorologigal Institute
Weather Forecast, yr.no
Average weather conditions
The following description of average prevailing weather conditions can change yearly and can vary regionally and locally.
Month: Average temp. in °C day (night) / Average day light in hours / Average snow depth in cm
- January: -9 (-18) / 4h / 40 -70 cm
- February: -8 (-17) / 6h / 50-80 cm
- March: -3 (-13) / 10h / 60-100 cm
- April: +3 (-7) / 14h / 50-80 cm
- May: +9 (+0) / 18h / 0-20 cm
- June: +15 (+6) / 24h / 0 cm
- July: +19 (+10) / 24h / 0 cm
- August: +16 (+7) / 20h / 0 cm
- September: +10 (+3) / 15h / 0 cm
- October: +3 (-3) / 11h / 0 cm
- November: -4 (-11) / 7h / 0-30 cm
- December: -7 (-15) / 4h / 10-40 cm
Winter clothing in safari
Winter clothing what clients get from safari company: overall, mittens, balaclava, hat, socks and boots.
What clients should bring with them is:
1. layer: warm thermal long sleeve and long leg underwear and socks (merino wool is best next to your skin)
2. layer: sweater (wool or fleece) and sweatpants
3. layer: fleece jacket
It’s best to have several layers and avoid cotton.